If you want your children to turn out well, spend twice as much time with them and half as much money.
I can’t remember who told me this, but it makes so much sense.
And so does the list below that I found on GoodEnoughMother.com. (The points in bold are from Good Enough Mother. She elaborates on her list on her site. I have chosen to make my own comments about each point below.)
- STOP HOVERING – they will figure it out on their own…eventually.
- DON’T GIVE THEM EVERYTHING – they’ll never learn the value of anything.
- MAKE SURE YOUR KIDS KNOW THEY ARE NOT THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE – if you don’t teach them this, someone else will.
- TEACH THEM LIFE IS NOT LINEAR – sometimes you have to go backward to go forward.
- LET THEM FAIL – it teaches them how to succeed.
And a little visual reminder…a cartoon that I quite like for its brutal honesty.