I see ADT signs all over my neighbourhood and often wonder if I’m doing enough to protect my family. Well, October is National Crime Prevention Month, a good time for me to take into account the importance of home security and to assess how safe my family is.
Here are some tips offered by ADT to help homeowners with crime prevention and safety:
Crime Prevention and Safety Tips
- Lock All Doors and Windows: Lock your doors and windows, including garage doors, with heavy duty locks even when you are at home. Secure windows and sliding doors with secondary blocking devices (e.g., a wood block or dowel) for added protection.
- Crime-Proof Outside Areas: Use motion sensor lights around the exterior of your home that can be seen from the street. Good lighting makes it harder for criminals to hide under the cover of darkness. In addition, design and maintain landscaping with security in mind—hedges should be trimmed away from windows so owners have a good view of their property.
- Enlist a Team of Monitoring Experts: A professionally installed security system with 24/7 monitoring can create an added layer of security to help guard against home invasion and keep an eye out for your home when you are unable to do so. Home security systems like ADT Pulse can immediately call for help in the event of a burglary, fire or carbon monoxide leak. Citizens can protect their personal property and keep their families safe year round and around the clock.
- Get to Know Your Neighbours: A friendly relationship with your neighbors can be beneficial for your home’s security. Neighbours who can pick up mail and park in your driveway to give the appearance of occupancy while you’re on vacation may help to deter burglars.
- Establish an Emergency Plan: Have important phone numbers listed near the phone and establish a meeting place for family members—one near your home and one outside your neighborhood. If you think you hear someone breaking in, leave safely if you can, then call the police.